Running it back to 2015 Granville area, postcode 2142, sitting within the Cumberland City Council.

I personally didn't grow up in this area. By 2015, I had just moved to Blacktown from Riverwood, and I honestly didn't really go to any suburbs east of Blacktown after school. But what was being worn out there was universal across the Greater Western Sydney region.


When you think about fashion and streetwear nowadays on a global scale, the current scene is so diverse. What I mean by that is that there is no real set trend right now. An argument could almost be put forward that we were unified back then.


Sure, baggy and curved jeans are huge now, but you'll see them on every tenth person in Parramatta and maybe every twentieth person in Mount Druitt. Though it does get more common the farther east you go.


Whereas, if we jumped back to 2015, what the lads and lasses wore in Granville was practically being worn in Bankstown, Redfern and Blacktown - from the Inner West Sydney region to the Greater Western Sydney region. No social media influencer pushing it like we see nowadays. It just organically moved across.


I've already given Nautica its praise for its presence in the Greater Western Sydney streetwear scene, but looking through these photos, it really shows how practically every lad, regardless of ethnicity was rocking it - whether it was a tee or a hat. Not to forget, even that Adidas bumbag with the three stripes, that you would either cop at InSport or Rebel Sports.


I think I'm trailing here now because I always write these as a brain dump. Like, I'm legit thinking about trailing into Ralph Lauren, etc, etc... But I'd like to keep that as its own separate post in the future.
If you have any photos of Australian streetwear, i.e., 'adlay/lad' wear, or as the newer generation refers to it, 'eshay wear', please send them through. Let's preserve our culture, community and identity together.


Comments
Post a Comment