Growing up in Western Sydney, I always remember seeing Toyota Tarago's across suburbs with strong Polynesian and South East Asian communities.

As an affordable seven seater that was cheap to maintain and simultaneously reliable (like practically all Toyota’s lol), the Tarago was a silent iconic vehicle – one that earned recognition through sheer practicality. However, it doesn’t get enough praise for its impact, such as the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon's did.


The Uce Mobile
Across Western Sydney, the Tarago became symbolic of a very specific demographic. Dominating the roads on Sundays on its way to church, it wasn’t unusual to see a church car park where 90 per cent of the vehicles were Toyota Tarago’s. Parked at a shopping centre, and with no intention to offend, you’d sometimes watch several 6-foot usos step out and instinctively think, “dayum”.


Growing up, I remember hearing various nicknames for the Tarago. Some of the nicknames which I can somewhat recall: “FOB car, “uce mobile”, and “Islander church car”. These labels honestly reflected how deeply the vehicle had embedded itself into the Polynesian communities.


As I’m half South East Asian, I also remember seeing like 50 per cent of cars at Filipino gatherings being Tarago’s. Though we just never got that contingent pairing like the Islander brothers did.


All Good Things Come To An End
The Toyota Tarago was officially discontinued in Australia at the end of 2019, closing a 36-year production run that quietly shaped large family life across the country. According to automotive sources, its discontinuation came down to shifting buyer preferences, as Australians increasingly moved toward SUVs and dual cabs that offered a more modern image. Toyota replaced the Tarago with a more premium SUV called the Granvia, but in an ironic twist, that model was axed from Australia by the end of 2025 due to regulatory non-compliance and low sales.







Comments
Post a Comment