From Sheffield, England, metalcore band Malevolence have built its reputation brick by brick since 2010. Rising from the UK hardcore pits to selling out shows worldwide.
In June, Malevolence dropped their fourth studio album, Where Only The Truth Is Spoken, charting at number 1 on the UK Rock & Metal Charts.
What sets this band apart isn't just the sound, but how they carry themselves. Their style is rooted in the streets, both on and off stage. Their fits speak louder than their words - it's an identity born from their environment, not a gimmick nor a label marketing team.
Alex from Malevolence says:
I think there is a huge connection between UK and Aussie streetwear culture.
I see a lot of the same trends on both sides and I think it's sick that we look to each other for inspiration in our styles.
I feel like a lot of the times when we have toured Australia, the people that come to the shows dress like people back home, and that shared spirit makes you feel like we have a lot in common with the people at the shows.
We have a similar sense of humour too - we understand a lot of the same banter that maybe other places in the world just don't get.
Australia will forever be one of my favourite places in the whole world to travel to, and I think it's mainly because of the cultural similarities that we have, and that despite being on the other side of the planet, thousands of miles away from the UK, there's so many litle things that make us feel like we're at home.
How important is your choice of shoes when you're on stage?
Alex from Malevolence says:
Very important. I'm a sucker for a fresh pair of white TN's (Nike Air Max Plus). They go with every fit and always look cold, but the problem is trying to keep them clean. One tour and they are f*cked. I've lost count of the amount of all white's I've lost to tour.
Music & Style.
The refusal to conform is exactly what makes Malevolence stand out. The band shows up in terrace gear and technical outerwear, proof that heavy music doesn’t need a dress code.
Alex from Malevolence says:
I think that as musicians, we have grown into and developed our own individual styles over our career. I mainly put it down to those around me both inside and outside of music.
When I first started going to hardcore shows, I noticed everyone dressed a little different, wearing sweatpants and Nike trainers. I'd go to football (soccer) matches and see the lads in CP Company and Stone Island, and think that was cool.
Where we live, there is a lot of countrside, so you see a lot of people wearing geear like The North Face, Nike ACG, and I was always a fan of that stuff too.
I guess I just draw a lot of my style inspiration from my environment and the people in it.
It's always been a talking point that we don't dress like how you would expect a 'typical metal band' should dress, and I like that because I think everyone should wear the clothes and the shoes which they think are sick and makes them feel good, regardless of what it is.
What was your first pair of TNs (Nike Air Max Plus)?
Alex from Malevolence says:
My first pair was he TN 'Sunburns' back in 2015, if I remember right. That colourway is still fresh to this day. I wish I still had them but they took an absolute beating and ended up falling apart.
Outside of music and shoes, what's something people might be surprised to know you're into?
Alex from Malevolence says:
I recently joined my local library and got back into reading books.
I used to listen to a lot of audiobooks but there's something about finishing an actual physical book that is satisfying to me.
I enjoy reading a lot of thrillers, crime or anything involvinv special forces or undercover agents. But I've also enjoyed a few biographies recently too. Honestly, anything with a good believeable story will normally keep me hooked.
If you could own any pair of shoes, what would it be?
Alex from Malevolence says:
It would have to be the TN 'Ice' pair that were released in 2015, with the baby blue tick and blue sole. Coldest pair I've ever seen, no pun intended. They are so rare though. I've tried to find a pair but never had any luck. I think they were a Foot Locker Australia exclusive. I don't think they were ever released in Europe.
In three words, how would you describe your sound?
Alex from Malevolence says:
GROOVE-LADEN.
FEROCIOUS.
ANTHEMIC.
What's Next
With the band fresh off their May-June tour across Australia, they took their chance to link up with Australian boutique store, Up There Store, and also tapped in with the local adlay creatives scene.
Come October, they'll be heading back on the road, this time touring across Europe with Australian metalcore band, Speed.
Go give a listen to Malevolence's new album, Where Only The Truth Is Spoke, even if you're not into metalcore. In all honesty, it'll make you want to f*ck sh*t up. And you may like it.

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
%202.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
%202.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment